From our very own FGFM organizer and awesomesauce lady, Kim Smith.
Fat Girl Fleamarket Pro-tips
1) Prioritize! The Fat Girl Fleamarket can be overwhelming if it’s your first time! You will be spoiled for choice, and being surrounded by so many amazing clothes can be disorienting. So it’s helpful if you keep the top items on your wishlist in mind! Clothes will be divided into size categories (1x/2x, 3x/4x, 5x+) and separated by tops and bottoms. Dresses and coats are on hanging racks. So you may want to form a plan of attack! Need jeans? Head for the bottoms table for your size, and look for denim! Need a summer frock? Go check out the dresses first. Don’t worry, you’ll find plenty of other goodies as you browse, but searching with purpose will help you get the most out of the Flea!
2) Grab a bag! It’s a clothes orgy, with lots of action, and if you see something you think you want to try on or consider buying, you should hang onto it! We will have large tote bags for sale that you can use to carry your haul while you shop, or bring your own. Oh, and hang onto you personal items, too, or someone will end up buying the sweater you came in wearing!
3) Keep an open mind about sizes. All brands run differently, so no matter what the tag says- if it looks like it might fit, try it on!
4) Speaking of trying on, you may want to wear clothes that make trying on easy. We do have a communal fitting room, but it can be get crowded. You may want to consider wearing a tank top that you can try other shirts on over, or bike shorts that you can keep on while trying on skirts or pants. Then you can just try on as you shop!
5) Bring a friend. Two pairs of eyes are better than one for scoping out the threads. Have an instant helpful opinion as to help you make decisions! Take turns watching your stuff! Somebody can go on a coffee run!
6) Share the wealth! If you find an amazing treasure that you aren’t going going to buy, then show your neighbor, or shout it out! It’s all about helping our fellow shoppers at this event.
Kim’s Favorite Find from Fat Girl Fleamarket 2009!
Faux lace overlay dress. Brand: unknown! Size: unknown! The tags were cut out of this when I found it. When in doubt, try it on!